There are several steps that go into finding the right lot for your future home. Additional costs can be incurred based on the house design as well as future improvements you may want to make down the road such as adding a pool, additional garage or other site improvements. For this reason, Woodbridge Homes offers a free site evaluation of the lot you own or are considering to purchase. Just give us a call to schedule!
There are several things to be aware of when searching for a lot or even on one you own that could affect construction costs and/or time. Although this list may not be inclusive of everything, it is some of the major components that may arise.
- Is the lot wooded? Depending on the county there are certain restrictions as to how much can be cleared. This site visit will allow us to discuss the extent of the clearing and any additional costs that may be incurred.
- Are there utilities at the site? Is the house far from the source of utilities and are there any additional costs for longer line to be run. Is it natural gas, electric or propane?
- Does the lot have public sewer? Have the taps been paid? Is the water line sufficient for a sprinkler system or does it need upsized? If the lot is not public water, and is serviced by a septic system, has it been perced? What type of septic system is required and what is the total number of bedrooms approved?
- Does the lot have public water or is it a well? If it’s serviced by a well has the well been drilled…if drilled what was the gpm (gallons per minute). Wells that run deeper may need a larger well pump than what is included in our pricing. The well driller files a report with the county after a well has been drilled, if you don’t have a copy you can request one from the county health department.
- Is the home going to be a walkout or inground basement. Please provide a site plan with topography either before or at the site visit.
- Will the garage be on the left or right?
- Length of driveway – while we include this in our budget our inclusion may be less then what your lot requires, if so this would be an additional cost to you but can be included in your construction permanent loan.
- Each county has it’s own impact fees and these can vary widely by each county. Some also require additional engineering, these can all be included in your construction permanent loan.
What Can’t Be Determined By A Site Visit – over the years we have seen and built on a multitude of many lots but we can’t see below the surface of the lot-land. For example, rock, buried debris, natural springs etc… could lurk underneath your lot-land and this could impact construction costs.
The next step is deciding on the home you want to build, Woodbridge Homes can build one of our customizable floorplans on your homesite or we can help you design your custom home. The benefits to starting with one of our floorplans and customizing it to fit your needs will be more cost efficient than designing a home from scratch. By choosing an existing floorplan, it will also reduce the overall timeline to reach completion.
Once you have decided on the homesite and home, the next step is financing. You will need to speak with a lender that has experience in construction permanent financing. We have 2 preferred lenders that have worked with us in the past or you can select your own. You will find links to the preferred lenders under our financing page.
After financing is approved, Woodbridge Homes will meet with you for color selections and will then file for your permit.
Once the permit is approved we will begin construction. After framing, there is a pre-drywall walk thru to discuss electrical and closet layouts.
Woodbridge Homes will keep you informed weekly with updates on your home. Close to the completion of the home, we will schedule a pre-settlement walk thru with you to be completed before occupancy of your home. Woodbridge Homes, will also do a one year walk thru on your home to take care of any service/warranty items.
If we can answer any other questions that are not answered here then please feel free to call us to discuss further.